Terms & Conditions
Using this site
Buying train tickets
Using our mobile App
Collecting Nectar Points
First Greater Western Limited makes this Site available to you to provide information about its business and about certain products and services available to you.
Ownership of Content
First Great Western are the copyright owner of all graphical and text content that may be found on this web site (all rights reserved). Unless being used personal or non-commercial use, no part of this web site may be copied, modified, or published without the prior written permission of First Great Western.
By accessing this site you guarantee to First Great Western that you will not use this web site for any purpose that is unlawful or prohibited by these terms, conditions and notices.
First Great Western also reserves the right to suspend, or permanently block your access to this site at their discretion.
Links to third party websites
Contributions to the Site
- you may download the Content, but only for informational, non-commercial, non-profitable and personal use and provided that you do not remove, adapt, alter or obscure any of the information, Content or notices (such as copyright and other proprietary notices) contained on the Content. You may not copy, reproduce, republish, download, post, broadcast, transmit, make available to the public, or otherwise use the Content (including, but not limited to, "caching" any material on the Site for access by third parties or "mirroring" any material on the Site) in any way except for your own personal, non-commercial use. Any other use of the Content or the Site requires the prior written permission of First Great Western;
- content within the "News" section of the Site may be reproduced solely for editorial purposes in daily newspapers, general circulation news magazines, trade publications and broadcast media;
- you may not distribute, modify, copy (except as set forth above), transmit, display, reuse, reproduce, publish, license, create derivative works from, transfer, sell or otherwise use Content without First Great Western's prior written permission;
- you may not create a database in electronic or structured manual form by systematically downloading and storing any Content on the Site;
- you are responsible for complying with local laws and regulations of the jurisdiction from which you access this Site. This Site should not be accessed in any jurisdiction where for any reason the publication or availability of this Site is prohibited. First Great Western does not represent that this Site complies with laws in all jurisdictions. If you are in doubt, you should seek legal advice and if necessary, terminate your use of this Site immediately;
- you are prohibited from using the Site to advertise or perform any commercial solicitation;
- you are prohibited from posting or transmitting to or from this Site, any material for which you have not obtained all necessary licences or approvals or which is technically harmful (including; without limitation, computer viruses, logic bombs, Trojan horses, worms, harmful components, corrupted data or other malicious software or harmful data); and
- you may not misuse the Site (including, without limitation, by (i) hacking; (ii) defacing, altering or interfering with the front end 'look and feel' of this Site; (iii) obtaining or attempting to obtain unauthorised access (via whatever means) to any of our networks; (iv) by taking any action that imposes an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on this Site or related infrastructure; or by (v) using any software, routine or device to interfere or attempt to interfere electronically or manually with the operation or functionality of this Site (including but not limited to uploading or making available files containing corrupt data or viruses via whatever means).
If on registration to any of our services on the Site (or on amendment of your registration details) you provide First Great Western with an email address that will result in any emails First Great Western may send you being sent to you via a computer network operated by or on behalf of your employer or educational establishment (or similar) then you are warranting that you are entitled to receive emails at that address. You also agree that First Great Western may stop sending any emails to such address without notifying you, even if you have subscribed to receive them or any other service, if we receive a request from your employer or educational establishment (or otherwise) to stop sending emails to that address.
First Great Western reserves the right in its sole discretion to suspend or permanently block your access to this Site or any portion of it without prior notice.
The Content on this Site may include inaccuracies or typographical errors. First Great Western reserve the right to make changes periodically to this Site at any time and without notice. However, First Great Western makes no commitment to regularly update the information contained in this Site. While First Great Western has taken all reasonable effort to ensure that the information contained within the web site is correct, you should be aware that the information it contains may be incomplete, incorrect, or may have become out of date. Furthermore, First Great Western does not guarantee that this Site will operate uninterrupted or error-free, that defects will be periodically corrected or that it is compatible with your computer, hardware or software.
Information, advice and opinions expressed in this Site should not be relied upon for personal, legal, financial or other decisions. You should consult an appropriate professional for specific advice tailored to your situation.
FIRST GREAT WESTERN SHALL USE REASONABLE CARE AND SKILL IN CARRYING OUT THE SERVICES CONTAINED IN THIS SITE. HOWEVER ALL CONTENT (INCLUDING THE INFORMATION, NAMES, IMAGES, PICTURES, LOGOS AND ICONS REGARDING OR RELATING TO FIRST GREATER WESTERN LIMITED, ITS PRODUCTS AND SERVICES (OR TO THIRD PARTY PRODUCTS AND SERVICES)) AND ALL PRODUCTS AND SERVICES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE AND ARE PROVIDED TO YOU "AS IS" AND ON AN "IS AVAILABLE" BASIS WITHOUT ANY REPRESENTATIONS OR ANY KIND OF WARRANTY MADE OF ANY KIND (WHETHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED BY LAW) TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF SUITABILITY, SATISFACTORY QUALITY, MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, NON-INFRINGEMENT, COMPATIBILITY, SECURITY AND ACCURACY.
Please note that some jurisdictions may not allow the exclusion of implied warranties, so some of the above exclusions may not apply to you. Without limiting the foregoing, First Great Western neither warrants nor represents that your use of any Content will not infringe the rights of any third parties nor that the Content will be accurate, complete or up to date.
First Great Western assumes no responsibility for any information not provided on this Site or for the failure of any of our services offered on this Site, including but not limited to the provision of train service information and the sale of rail tickets.
Exclusion of Liability
IF YOUR USE OF MATERIAL ON THIS SITE RESULTS IN THE NEED FOR SERVICING, REPAIR OR CORRECTION OF EQUIPMENT, SOFTWARE OR DATA, YOU ASSUME ALL COSTS THEREOF.
IF YOU ARE DISSATISFIED WITH ANY PORTION OF THIS SITE YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY IS TO DISCONTINUE USING IT.
Links to third party websites
The Site may contain links to websites owned or operated by parties other than First Great Western. Such links are provided for your convenience only. If you use these links, you may leave the Site or, alternatively, the link and third party website content may be framed within this Site. First Great Western has not reviewed all of these third party websites or such framed content, and does not control, and is not responsible for their operation nor for the content on or privacy policies on, or the security of, such websites. Without limiting the foregoing, First Great Western specifically disclaims any responsibility if such websites:
- infringe any third party's intellectual property rights;
- are inaccurate, incomplete or misleading;
- are not merchantable or fit for a particular purpose;
- do not provide adequate security;
- contain viruses or other items of a destructive nature; or
- are libellous or defamatory.
Neither does First Great Western endorse or make any representations about the content or any products or services available on such websites or any results which may be obtained by using them. Neither is it associated with the operators or administrators of such websites. If you access such websites or establish a link to such websites or the Site, you do so at your own risk and without the permission of First Great Western.
If you provide hyperlinks to this Site, you agree that you:
- may link to, but may not replicate, any Content;
- shall not frame or otherwise create a browser or border environment around any Content;
- shall not imply that First Great Western is endorsing you or your products or services;
- shall not misrepresent you or your website's relationship with First Great Western;
- shall not present false, misleading or inaccurate information about First Great Western or First Great Western's products or services on your website or otherwise disparage First Great Western's products or services;
- shall not use First Great Western's logos, trade marks, service marks or the suchlike without express prior written permission from First Great Western;
- shall not include content on your website that is or could be construed as illegal, distasteful, offensive or controversial, which infringes any intellectual property rights or other rights of any person or otherwise does not comply with all applicable laws and regulations and you shall include on your website only content that is appropriate for all age groups;
- shall not remove or obscure any of the information, Content or notices contained on the Site;
- shall not link to an internal page of this Site that is located one or several levels down from the home page or bring up or present Content of this Site on another website without First Great Western's prior written permission;
- shall not link to a website that is not owned by you;
- shall inform First Great Western in writing of the link; and
- shall immediately discontinue the link if instructed to do so by First Great Western.
Software available on this Site
The Rights in any software that is made available for download from the Site ("Software") belong to First Great Western or its suppliers/licensors. In order to access some of the information on this Site, you may have to enter into licences with third party software providers (such as Adobe Acrobat). Your ability to access that information may depend on whether you have entered into such licences. Your use of the Software is governed by the terms of any licence agreement that may accompany or be included with the Software. First Great Western takes no responsibility for arranging any such licences. Do not install or use any Software unless you agree to such licence agreement. Where you download software from this Site you do so at your own risk.
Products and services available on this Site and third party websites linked to this Site
The Site offers an impartial service (the ‘Booking Service’) selling every variation of ticket available around the UK representing all Train Operating Companies. We do not currently support [Ferry bookings], [supplementary tickets], [Motorail services] or [Berth bookings on Caledonian Sleeper services] or [Eurostar bookings].
Use of the Booking Service
The Booking Service is designed to provide you with travel information, to assist you in determining the availability of travel-related goods and services and to make travel reservations or other travel-related purchases.
You agree that you will only use the travel information facilities of this Booking Service to find out information for yourself or for another person who intends to use or make use of the Booking Service to purchase travel services.
You confirm that you have authority to use the credit/debit card details you provide for the purpose of settling any payments you owe to us. You also agree that all information supplied by you in using the Booking Service is accurate and that you will not make any speculative, false or fraudulent reservations. You further agree that you will only use the travel services reservations facilities of this website to make reservations or purchases for yourself or another person on whose behalf you are legally entitled to act.
We shall not be obliged to sell tickets or reserve a set for a person or persons who we have reason to believe may be intending to use it, or the proposed method of payment, fraudulently. You acknowledge that you will be financially responsible for any bookings, which are made through the Booking Service using your account details and for all reasonable and foreseeable losses, which we suffer as a result of your breach of these terms or negligence when using this website (including where you deliberately or negligently let others use your account).
All bookings are subject to the Terms and Conditions of First Greater Western Limited and the National Rail Conditions of Carriage. You are strongly advised to read these conditions, which contain limitations and exclusions relating to our liability in respect of loss caused by delays or cancellations, as well as loss or damage to, and delay in the delivery or luggage and its contents.
If you cannot produce a valid ticket for the class of accommodation and service that you are using, you will have to pay the appropriate fare or could face paying a penalty fare.
Issue of tickets
With respect to tickets sold by us, we cannot confirm the price of any tickets until such time as you complete your order and your credit/debit card will not be charged until the order has been processed.
When we have confirmed your booking by e-mail to your registered e-mail address, we will send your tickets or ticket collection number to you using the method you selected when you made your booking.
On receipt of your tickets we would ask that you check to ensure they are correct and contact our Web Support team if your tickets do not meet the information you provided at the time of booking.
Getting your Tickets
We offer a range of methods to get your tickets. The particular options offered for your booking may differ depending on various factors, including ticket type, train operator, method of purchase and whether or not there is sufficient time to reliably post your tickets.
Normal post: We will dispatch tickets by normal post to the address you specify during the delivery process. You should ensure that the address provided is correct.
Next day delivery: We will dispatch tickets by Royal Mail Special Delivery to the address you specify during the delivery process. You should ensure that the address provided is correct. You will need to sign for the tickets upon delivery.
International post: We will dispatch tickets by post to the address you specify during the delivery process. You should ensure that the address provided is correct.
Collecting tickets at the station: For many bookings we allow you to collect tickets from a range of stations. You must allow sufficient time to collect your tickets before boarding the train. You must have your ticket collection reference, and (unless stated otherwise) the credit/debit card used to make the purchase as identification. You should note any special collection instructions given during the booking process, for example the station opening hours.
If you are unable to collect your tickets (for example due to the ticket machine(s) being out of service) then you should contact the station staff for further assistance. If there are no staff at the station, you should board your booked train, and make yourself known to the on-train staff at the earliest possible opportunity.
E-ticket / print@home: For some bookings we allow you to print your own ticket.
You must ensure that you print the ticket clearly on A4 paper and carry the ticket with you when you travel. Tickets are only valid when accompanied by the correct identification selected whilst making the booking. Tickets are non-transferable and you must ensure that no one else is able to obtain and/or print a copy of your ticket.
Some train operating companies apply additional restrictions to the use of e-ticket / print@home - you must note any additional restrictions notified during the booking process.
M-tickets / Mobile tickets: For some bookings we allow you to travel with paperless tickets delivered to your mobile phone ("M-tickets"), booked either through the Website, or via our Mobile Application. When booking such tickets via the Website, you must check that your mobile phone is compatible with our tickets by downloading a test ticket where indicated prior to purchase.
It is your responsibility to ensure that you carry your mobile phone on the relevant journey and that your phone is charged, functional and that you are able to display the ticket for inspection when you travel. Due to the wide variety of mobile phone handsets and networks we are unable to offer technical support or assistance. You may incur data usage charges from your mobile phone operator for downloading a ticket. You should check with your network provider as to what charges may apply.
For identification purposes you must also carry the credit/debit card used to make the booking (If tickets have been booked for more than one passenger, all passengers should travel together and the lead passenger must carry the credit/debit card used to make the booking).
We shall not provide duplicate or replacement tickets. The ticket must be stored on your mobile phone until the date and time of travel and such safekeeping shall be your responsibility. M-Tickets are non-transferable.
By purchasing a M-Ticket, you agree to cooperate with the train inspector and let him/her clearly view the ticket on your mobile phone and you acknowledge that you may be requested to hand over your mobile phone voluntarily for inspection. If you do not produce your ticket or hand over your mobile phone upon a request to do so by the train inspector, the train inspector shall be entitled to consider that you are travelling without a ticket. Some train operating companies apply additional restrictions to the use of M-Tickets - you must note any additional restrictions notified during the booking process.
Smartcard: For some bookings we allow your ticket to be delivered to your Smartcard.
If you are using an existing Smartcard you must ensure that you correctly enter your Smartcard reference number - we cannot amend this after payment has occurred.
You must carry your Smartcard with you when you travel.
You must ensure that you validate your Smartcard at the start and end of your journey by using either the stand alone validators or ticket barriers as applicable.
Some train companies apply additional restrictions to the use of Smartcards - you must note any additional restrictions notified during the booking process.]
Changes, cancellations and refunds
Changes to the date and time of a ticket may be permitted depending on the type of ticket and availability of alternatives, but exchange may not be available for certain ticket types. Refunds will depend on the type of ticket and conditions applicable to it and may not be available for certain ticket types.
All refunds and amendment will incur a £10 charge.
To make any changes please login to your account, or contact our Web Support Team on 0844 556 5605.
We may change the terms relating to our Booking Service from time to time; however, any changes will not affect existing terms accepted by you when making a reservation or purchase through this website.
Network Rail usually carries out track maintenance and renewal work at weekends or Bank Holidays, or occasionally early weekday mornings or late evenings.You are strongly advised to confirm your train times prior to making your journey.
The prices quoted on this website are in Pounds Sterling (£). If you pay for your tickets using a foreign credit or debit card, we are not responsible for the exchange rate and you are advised that changes to your ticket or refunds may be affected by such exchange rate.
Using our mobile App
We allow you the right to download, install and use the Mobile Application on your mobile handset to access the Booking Service in accordance with these terms and conditions.
You may not use the Mobile Application for any purpose other than to access the Booking Service. You do not and will not own the Mobile Application or any information that is provided to you through it or the Booking Service, but you may use these things in accordance with these terms and conditions.
The Mobile Application is provided to you free of charge and on an ‘as is' basis. We have tried to make sure that it will work on each compatible mobile handset, however, we do not promise that the Mobile Application will be suitable for your needs, or that it will work accurately or in a particular way. All implied promises or warranties related to the mobile application, and access to the booking service through it, are excluded.
Data charges and access
The Mobile Application requires a correctly configured and functional internet data connection, both for the initial installation, and for use.
Data charges may be charged to you by your network provider depending on your individual tariff. You are responsible for any such costs. Note that if you are using the Mobile Application on an overseas network, the cost of data usage may be considerably higher than when at home.
We are unable to provide any warranties as to the levels of connectivity you will receive via your mobile handset. This may depend upon your tariff, your network provider or your corporate policy if you have a work-issued handset. We will not accept any responsibility for any connectivity issues you may experience.
Please contact your network provider or visit their website if you require assistance configuring a data connection for your phone.
Support & Communications
While we have tried to get a broad coverage of mobile devices, our Mobile Application will not work on all mobile handsets. Please refer to our Website for details of the handsets which are able to download our Mobile Application. Download and operation success may depend on handset settings.
If you have any queries or problems with the Mobile Application, please look at our FAQs for answers to the most common questions we receive from users. If the FAQs do not assist, please contact us at: email@example.com or 0844 556 5605. (Please do not contact any distributor of the Mobile Application with a support request as they will not be able to assist you.)
We may send communications to you through the Mobile Application. These communications may include marketing material, technical and support information, and information on updates or changes. By using the Mobile Application, you agree to us providing you with such communications.
Please note that we may cease to operate and support the Mobile Application, or a particular version of it, at any time. If this happens, you will be unable to access the Booking Services through the Mobile Application (or the relevant version of it) and you may be unable to download or install fresh copies of the Mobile Application. Where we think that it is reasonable to do so, we also reserve the right to either require you to delete the Mobile Application, or to remotely deactivate the Mobile Application from your mobile handset.
Updates & Availability
From time to time, we may issue updates to the Mobile Application, in which case you may not be able to continue use of the version of the Mobile Application installed on your mobile handset without downloading the relevant update. If we issue an update of the Mobile Application without disabling our earlier version installed on your handset, we nonetheless recommend that you download and install all updates issued. We cannot accept any liability for errors which become apparent in old versions of the Mobile Application.
We are able to suspend access to the Booking Service through the Mobile Application. We can do this for any reason, but will usually only do so when carrying out maintenance on the Mobile Application or the systems supporting it.
You can use your Mobile Application to store details of your bookings, favourite journeys and payment card details. You should ensure that your phone is protected by a suitable PIN number or password so that if lost/stolen your stored details cannot be used or accessed.
We have partnered with Nectar so you can now collect Nectar points on tickets purchased on www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk.
- To collect points on www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk, you will need a Nectar card. If you don't already have one, you can sign up for a Nectar card.
- You must link your Nectar card number in the ‘My Account’ section on www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk to collect Nectar points on train tickets purchased online. If you do not have an account simply create one and include your Nectar card number at the same time.
- When you add your Nectar card, you'll receive 100 bonus points. You can link with as many participating FirstGroup companies as you want - however, you are only entitled to one bonus allocation. Only the first Nectar card account per customer is valid.
- Once your Nectar card number has been linked you will be eligible to collect:
- 2 points per £1 spent on train tickets purchased at www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk (excluding season tickets, Gift Vouchers, Travelcards and PLUSBUS)
- 50 points for the online purchase or renewal of a weekly season ticket (where available)
- 200 points for the online purchase or renewal of a monthly season ticket
(For tickets valid for more than 1 month, but less than a year, you will collect points for every full month (up to a maximum of 2,500). i.e. a 2 month, 3 week season would be worth 400 points).
- 2,500 points for the online purchase or renewal of an annual season ticket
(All season ticket offers are subject to change from time to time and will be updated on this website accordingly)
- Your points will appear on your account within 28 days of buying your tickets.
- Points cannot currently be redeemed on www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk.
- Incorrect or invalid Nectar cards or Nectar card numbers will not be awarded points. Customers are responsible to ensure the card number you enter is correct.
- First Great Western reserves the right to:
- withdraw at any time any Nectar points that were granted;
- in the case of any fraudulent activity
- in error - for instance if the Nectar logo was mistakenly displayed on the view item page of an excluded item
- withhold or delay issuing Nectar points
- change these terms at any time.