Great Western Main Line Upgrade Works
Swindon to Kemble 10 August to 1 September 2013
CHANGE TO PREVIOUSLY ADVERTISED SERVICES: 31 AUGUST to 1 SEPTEMBER 2013:
We are no longer able to run trains between Kemble and Gloucester on the weekend of 31 August/1 September. Customers are advised that rail replacement bus services will operate between Swindon and Gloucester/Cheltenham Spa that weekend.
As part of the £45m project to double the line between Swindon and Kemble, Network Rail is undertaking improvement works on this section of the Great Western route from Saturday 10 August to Sunday 1 September. The line will be closed completely and train services will be replaced by road transport between Swindon and Kemble.
Customers wishing to travel on routes between London Paddington / Swindon to Kemble, Stroud, Stonehouse, Gloucester, and Cheltenham Spa will be affected.
We apologise for any inconvenience that these works may cause to your journeys and we will seek to minimise disruption as far as possible.
The project is scheduled to be completed by Easter 2014 and will reduce passenger delays, improve train reliability and provide enhanced signalling. These upgrades will support future service growth between Swindon and Gloucester over the next few years and serve as an essential diversionary route when other stations and/or routes need to be closed for future network improvements.
To allow Network Rail the extra time they need to complete overnight works without disrupting peak time services, late night train services between Swindon and Gloucester are currently suspended on Mondays to Thursdays and a rail replacement bus service is in operation as part of the current timetable.
Network Rail will also be carrying out regular maintenance and renewal works on parts of this route in the lead up to and immediately following, the 3 weeks of Swindon to Kemble improvement works:
On Sunday 14 July, Sunday 21 July and Sunday 8 September
- Until approximately 1300, rail services from Swindon towards Gloucester will terminate at Stroud.
- Customers travelling on to Gloucester /Cheltenham Spa will need to continue their journey by rail replacement bus.
- Until approximately midday rail replacement buses will operate between Cheltenham Spa/Gloucester and Swindon.
- Between midday and approximately 1400 train services towards Swindon will start from Stroud.
- From approximately 1400 trains run through from Cheltenham Spa/Gloucester to Swindon.
On Sunday 28 July and Sunday 4 August
- The line between Kemble and Gloucester will be closed.
- Customers travelling from Swindon to Gloucester/Cheltenham Spa should take rail replacement buses from Swindon to continue their journey.
During the three week continuous line closure the following changes will occur:
Monday to Friday 12-16 August, 19-23 August and 26-30 August 2013
- Rail replacement buses will operate between Swindon and Kemble.
- Trains will operate between Kemble and Gloucester/ Cheltenham Spa and will run to an amended timetable.
- Some peak services from London to Gloucester, Cheltenham Spa and Worcester Shrub Hill will be diverted via Bristol Parkway with extended journey times
- Customers for Gloucester and Cheltenham Spa should travel via Bristol Parkway, changing trains if necessary
- Customers can expect journeys to take between 30-55 minutes longer than usual.
Saturday/Sunday 10/11 August , Saturday/Sunday 17/18 and Saturday 31 August/ Sunday 1 September 2013
- Rail replacement buses will operate between Swindon and Gloucester/ Cheltenham Spa.
Saturdays 24 August 2013
- Rail replacement buses will operate between Swindon and Kemble. Trains will operate between Kemble and Gloucester/ Cheltenham Spa.
- Customers for Gloucester and Cheltenham Spa should travel via Bristol Parkway
Sunday 25 August 2013
- Until 1510 rail replacement buses will operate between Swindon and Gloucester/ Cheltenham Spa.
- From 1510 rail replacement buses will operate between Swindon and Kemble and trains will operate between Kemble and Gloucester/ Cheltenham Spa.
For more information on alternative routes/ticketing arrangements during the Swindon to Kemble rail improvement works, download this leaflet.
The London Paddington / Swindon to Gloucester / Cheltenham Spa timetable from Saturday 10 August until Sunday 1 September 2013 is available here.